Since September 2019 Southill Lower School has formally accepted children from 3 years old in a designated nursery provision.
The aims of our nursery are to:
- Improve children's readiness for statutory schooling.
- Provide a smoother transition to school as children and their parents will be familiar with Southill Lower School.
- Fully integrate the nursery into the daily life of Southill so that the children utilise facilities such as our playing field, wildlife areas and pond, library and hall.
Our Pre-School employs a fully qualified teacher and a qualified level 3 teaching assistant. This is so that we can provide a high quality early years education that will prepare the children to achieve well in their future schooling.
There will be quality wrap around care for nursery children at Southill with our Before School Club and After School Club as we appreciate child care may be difficult for working parents. This provision is subject to availability.
The justification for us lowering our age range from 4-9 years to 3-9 years is research that shows us that:
- Children who had early years education gained higher English and mathematics GCSE results and are more likely to achieve higher grades.
- Children who had experienced high quality nursery education are more likely to follow a post-16 academic pathway.
- Children who had experienced high quality nursery education are better at self-regulation and social behaviour.
More about this research can be found at Institute of Education website on the EPPSE project pages.